Philip E. Lamb
Hall of Fame|
Lamb was born in Baltimore in 1884 and played four years of lacrosse at Swarthmore in the days when Swarthmore and Johns Hopkins were the perennial national champs. He was a star for the national championship teams of 1904 and 1905. At Swarthmore, Lamb also played football and was captain of the 1905 relay team that won the mile championship at the Penn Relays.
In 1905, Lamb also starred as center for the new Mt. Washington Club team by commuting from Philadelphia to Baltimore. Lamb was picked by Walter Oster Norris (whose name is synonymous with Mt. Washington Club lacrosse) as one of the greatest lacrosse centers of all time. For his 10 years of playing for Mt. Washington, he was named one of the five men most responsible for instituting lacrosse at Mt. Washington. Lamb was chosen on the first list of those selected for the Mt. Washington Lacrosse Honor Roll.
Lamb was an ardent supporter of youth athletics. As head of the governing committee of the Baltimore Friends School, he provided guidance, which made Friends outstanding in prep school athletics and consistently a leader in lacrosse. His service as a member of the board of the Towson YMCA was recognized by the naming of one of their playing fields in his honor.
Following his graduation from Swarthmore, Lamb attended the University of Maryland Law School, and later organized a real estate firm under his name which developed Cedarcroft, Pinehurst, Wiltondale and Coventry. He was a member of the Real Estate Brokers Round Table, member of the board of the Towson YMCA, Friends School, Sheppard and Enoch Pratt Hospital, and the Arlington Federal Savings and Loan Association and was a charter member of the North Baltimore Kiwanis.