USA Lacrosse is continuing to make the game safer by improving the quality and consistency of its coach training program. Beginning Oct. 1, the following updates to the requirements for Level 1 certification will take effect:
- All women’s game coaches will need to complete the “Safe and Legal Defense” online course
- All coaches will need to complete the “How to Coach Kids” online course
Both of these courses are available for free of charge for USA Lacrosse members on its e-learning portal. The “How to Coach Kids” course replaces the Positive Coaching Alliance Double Goal Coach 1 course. For coaches whose certification is already in progress, we will continue to accept PCA Double Goal Coach 1 as a requirement through June 1, 2023. Coaches who currently hold an active Level 1 Certification will not need to complete the new requirements.
The USA Lacrosse coaching certification program helps coaches effectively teach everything from fundamental skills to advance team tactics; work with youth in an age-appropriate, safe manner; choose drills in order to plan effective practices; and implement a positive coaching philosophy.
With the changes being implemented on Oct. 1, the requirements for Level 1 certification will include:
- Active USA Lacrosse membership that includes an NCSI background check and completion of the abuse prevention course
- Completion of the Level 1 online course, “Developing the Individual Athlete”
- Completion of a Level 1 instructional clinic (in-person or virtual)
- Completion of the “How to Coach Kids” online course
- Completion of either the “How to Make Proper Contact” online course for men’s games coaches or the “Safe and Legal Defense” course for women’s game coaches